SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#430585 - 04/10/17 12:19 PM Re: "Portable" arranger or chord-based accompaniment? [Re: TedS]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Too late for all that.....I bring all my gear

#430587 - 04/10/17 01:20 PM Re: "Portable" arranger or chord-based accompaniment? [Re: TedS]
Torch Offline

So what's the most "portable" accompaniment instrument?
-MIDI accordion (love the idea, but not sure I could learn Stradella bass)
Indeed, a great idea. If you already play the keyboard, the bass will come real easy. When it comes to Stradella, you only need to learn one key!

-Omnichord or it's successor the Q-Chord
A couple of times, I thought about getting one, but even the most expensive model feels like a toy....

-Korg MicroArranger driven by battery supply?
I haven't used mine for a long time. I don't think it's battery opperated though you could find a battery pack for it.

-Keytar or lightweight controller MIDI'd to my BK-7m (again, both driven by battery)
I have a USB model by Alesis. You can use a USB-MIDI Din converter to directly connect to the BK-7m. My son said it looks so 80s...

-A battery-powered Yamaha? (you have to go back to the '90s to find one that allows user styles and on-bass chords)
Yamaha QY-100 portable sequencer?

Well, if you are a guitar player and need rhythm backing, the QY-100 would be nice, but I think you are looking for something that you can play yourself. I'd say vArranger with a small midi controller would work well. It has the feature of finger on bass you are talking about.

Roland PMA-5?? What are some other portable "beat boxes" like this? My, that's an old module/sequencer. I still have two units. Once again, aren't you looking for something that you can play live yourself?

Dexibell: I played different models at NAMM. They didn't have a WOW effect on me. As a piano player, I always lean towards 76 or 88 keys. I have my eyes on the Numa Compact 2. No hammer action, but only 15.6 pounds, lots of features, great sounds, and built-in speakers.

Originally Posted By TedS
Thanks guys!
I don't play the guitar or anything but keys. And even those not very well, hence the need for auto-accompaniment :-(

Newb, just like every battery-powered Yamaha since the '90s, the PSR-EW400 doesn't allow a player to specify "on bass" or slash chords.

Bachus I haven't seen any Vivo / Dexibell products for sale here in the U.S., and the lightest model I could find on their website checks in at 22 lbs.; more than a Roland EA-7 which is about the lightest arranger currently for sale with built-in speakers.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm surprised more folks haven't commented on the items in my original list. Keep 'em coming! -Ted
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online